Joe Bragaw, PE, Director of Public Works
152 Elm Street
Stonington, CT 06378
Highway Department hours: M-F 7:00 am - 3:30 pm
Town Hall Office hours: M-F 8:30 am - 4:00 pm
Our mission is to maintain and enhance to the best of our ability our communities' infrastructure assets including the road network, sidewalks, roadway signs, stormwater management system, parks, fields and some of the historic cemeteries throughout our beautiful Town. An important part of our job is to clear the roadways during and after winter snow storms and to respond to natural and/or man-made disasters when called upon by the First Selectman. The department strives to utilize technology, equipment as well as trained personnel to achieve our goals and objectives so that we can proudly serve the residents of Stonington.
GOALS AND OBJECTIVES
- Carrying out our work in the safest manner possible
- Providing high quality and responsive service to the people of Stonington
- Promoting training to improve the ability of all Highway Department employees to perform their assigned duties and to have opportunities for growth within the Department
- Investigating and utilizing new technologies where needed to help with project planning, cost accounting, and increasing efficiencies
- Developing a computerized inventory of infrastructure assets (i.e. pavement, sidewalks, roadway signs, etc), so that by performing periodic condition surveys we can
prioritize improvements based on funding allocation
- Enhancing communication of our schedule with other Departments in Town and to the general public so that we can limit any disturbances our operations
might cause to the community.
Permits for new driveways and resurfacing of existing driveways are required. New driveway locations are reviewed by the Director of Public Works to ensure that the location will have a safe sightline. Resurfacing/replacement of existing driveways are reviewed to ensure that the product installed does not create a problem during winter snow plowing operations and street resurfacing. There is no charge for the driveway permit.