Dear Residents and Business:
FROM THE STONINGTON PUBLIC WORKS DEPARTMENT
The Highway Department is scheduling to rebuild Greenhaven Rd from Rt. 1 to the railroad bridge in the coming weeks. One of the Department’s goals is to communicate our schedule with the public so that we can minimize disturbances our operations might cause the community. We are well aware that Greenhaven Road is a very busy road, so we have already sent letters to residents on the route, installed signage on the road to alert residents, had a public informational meeting on May 15, 2012, and have sent press releases to the local papers. At this point, we are about to start construction. The tentative schedule right now, which is subject to change due to weather or contractor availability, is as follows;
- Town crews will begin working on this section of road on this Thursday June 14th to begin preparations for this work. We have delayed this work so that it occurs after school gets out so that we don’t impact the school buses.
- For those residents on Greenhaven Rd, we will be cutting away some of the driveway aprons as needed in advance of the paving work so that they will be ready when we pave. You should have access to your driveway, but if you have any questions, please call the Department
- Next Monday, June 18th, we have scheduled to mill a portion of the road. The contractor will begin at the intersection of Rt. 1 and Greenhaven Rd around 7am, so if residents can avoid this area at that time would be advisable. On this day, the road will be open to one way traffic, but please expect some delays.
- Next Wednesday June 20th and Thursday June 21st, we will be grinding up approximately 1,600 feet of Greenhaven Rd on the straight away between houses #’s 45-95. During this operation, Greenhaven Rd will be closed to thru traffic from Rt. 1 to Lindsay Lane. All residents on Palmer Neck Road will be able to get in and out to Rt. 1; they will just have to let the traffic controllers know so they can get through. We will have detour signs set up to direct people around the construction. The road will be closed to thru traffic from 7 am to approx 8pm on those days. For residents that live on that stretch of road, they will be able to get in and out of their driveways, but there will be delays.
- It will take the Department another full week or two to regrade the road and reset the catch basin tops in preparation for final paving. During this time, the road will be open but people should expect some delays. We will be treating the road to keep the dust down, but if residents on this stretch have any issues, please call the Department.
- Our goal is to pave the road before the July 4th holiday. When we pave, the road will be open to one way traffic.
During construction, we will do our best to minimize any disturbances to properties and the traffic but we appreciate your understanding as we complete the work. If there are any changes to our schedule, we will post them on the Town’s website at www.stonington-ct.gov. Also, if residents have any questions with regards to this work, they should call the Department at 860-535-5055.
Captain Jerry Desmond