Anyone wishing to obtain a Peddlers or Solicitors Permit in the Town of Stonington, per the Town ordinance, must complete the applicaiton below and submit, with the required documents and payment of fees, to the Stonington Police Department. Applications are also available at Police Headquarters through the Records Department. Any questions, contact Natalie Mitchell at 860-599-7510.
A Peddler is a person who travels from place to place selling goods. The following documents are required to be submitted with the application for a Peddlers Permit:
- Copy of valid drivers license or state issued ID card
- Copy of valid Connecticut Tax Identification Sales and Use Permit
- Insurance certificate naming the Town of Stonington as an additional insured on your agency/organizations Commercial General Liability and Auto policies - this must be stated on the certificate
- If food items are being sold, proof of approval from the Health Inspector must be submitted with the application
- If a peddler wishes to sell items on Town property (i.e., Donahue Park, Town Dock) written permission from the Board of Selectman must be submitted with application
Any Peddler who wishes to sell their items at an event taking place in the Town who receives written permission from the event organizer does not have to obtain a Town permit.
The fee for a Peddlers permit is $25.00. Please make check payable to the Town of Stonington. Permit will expire on December 31st succeeding the date of its issuance.
A Solicitor is a person who tries to obtain business orders by going door to door distributing information. Each member of a organization/company soliciting must complete an application. A copy of a valid drivers license will need to be submitted with each application. Please provide as much information as possible regarding your organization and what you will be soliciting orders for.
The fee for a Solicitors permit is $15.00 per organization/company. Each member approved will be listed on the one permit and it will be the responsibility of the organization/company to provide each member with a copy of the permit to keep on their person at all times while soliciting. PERMITTED HOURS FOR SOLICITING ARE 8:30 a.m. - 9:00 p.m. DAILY. Please make check payable to the Town of Stonington. Permits will expire one (1) year from the date of issuance.
It may take up to three (3) business days for applications to be processed and permits to be issued. Any applicant with a felony conviction will not be issued a permit.
*ALL PERMITS ARE EXCLUSIVE OF THE BOROUGH OF STONINGTON*