Automobile Tax Removal
You may be entitled to have your vehicle tax prorated or removed if you have done one of the following between October 1 and August 31:
- Sold the vehicle.
- Registered your vehicle out of state.
- Totaled or had your vehicle stolen.
Standard Forms of Proof for Removal and/or Proration
- Plate receipt from DMV indicating that registration has been cancelled.
- Plus any one of the following:
A copy of the bill of sale
|Located at bottom of registration form|
|A copy of the Transfer of Title||Title needs to be signed|
|Out of State registration||Date the vehicle was registered outside the State of Connecticut|
|Stolen Vehicle Statement||A statement (Assessor's Certification Form) from insurance company indicating that the vehicle was stolen and not recovered|
|Totaled Vehicle Statement||A statement (Assessor's Certification Form) from the insurance company indicating that the vehicle was totaled|
|Junked Vehicle||A notarized receipt from junk yard|
|Trade-in Vehicle||A copy of purchase agreement identifying the trade-in vehicle and a plate receipt|
Telephone: (860) 535-5098
Fax: (860) 535-5052
Please Note: If the registration has been transferred to a replacement vehicle the July tax is due in full. This payment will be credited toward the replacement vehicle and billed the following January.
All information must be dated and have the Vehicle Identification Number on all documentation. Forward to the Assessor's Office, 152 Elm Street, Stonington, CT 06378.
Check the status of your registration at the Department of Motor Vehicles website.
- 2017 State Mandated Revaluation Project
- Address Change Form
- Assessment Process
- Board of Assessment Appeals
- Business Closing Affidavit
- Downloadable Files
- Exemptions & Forms
- GIS Maps and Street Cards
- Income and Expense Forms
- Motor Vehicle
- Ordinances, Court Cases & Other
- Personal Property Declarations
- Revaluation Book After Hearings 2012
- Veterans Brochure