Motor Vehicle

-A A +A


Motor Vehicles

You may check the status of your registration at the Department of Motor Vehicles website. Click HERE to enter the Department of Motor Vehicle “Verify Registration” website. Many residents have discovered that their vehicles are not registered with the DMV, when they thought they were registered properly. Some reasons are that an emissions test was not conducted; or the test was done late; or that further document was required and not received.

Frequently Asked Questions

Q. How is the value of my motor vehicle determined?

A: Standard price guidelines, National Automobile Dealers Association value (clean, average, or used based upon class code)


Q. What if I think my assessment is not accurate?

A: You have the right of appeal to the Board of Assessment Appeals. The Board meets to review and adjust tax assessment during the months of March (for all types of properties) and September (for Motor Vehicles appearing on the October 1st Grand List). Applications must be filed for the March session between February 1st & 20th. No appoint is necessary for the September session.


Q. Why do I still get a bill when I no longer own my vehicle?

A: If you owned a vehicle as of October 1st, you are responsible for the following July bill. If you disposed of the vehicle after October 1st, you may receive a credit or refund if you provide proof to the Assessor.


Q. If I no longer reside in the state, why am I getting a bill?

A: If you were on the Grand List as of October 1st, you received a bill. As soon as you register your vehicle in another state, send a copy of the out-of-state registration and returned Connecticut plate receipt to the Assessor; your bill will be prorated.


Motor Vehicle Removal

Registered motor vehicle taxes may be prorated or removed if the following occurred between October and August.

  1. Sold the vehicle.

  2. Registered your vehicle out of state.

  3. Totaled or had your vehicle stolen.

Please provide the following documentation for processing: Two Forms of Proof Are Required

  1. Plate Receipt from the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) indicating that registration has been Cancelled.

  2. Plus any one the of following:

    1. A copy of the Bill of Sale (located at bottom of registration form).

    2. A copy of the Transfer of Title (signed).

    3. A copy of an Out of State Registration (date the vehicle was registered outside the state, including the vehicle identification number).

    4. A stolen Vehicle Statement (use: Assessor’s Certification Form) from insurance company indicating that the vehicle was stolen and Not Recovered.

    5. A Totaled Vehicle Statement (use: Assessor’s Certification Form) from the insurance company indicating the vehicle was totaled.

    6. A Junked Vehicle Statement—a notarized receipt from the junk yard with the date and vehicle identification number listed on the form.

    7. A Trade-in Vehicle Statement—a copy of the purchase agreement identifying the trade-in vehicle, vehicle identification number and date along with a license plate receipt.

Contact the assessor’s office at: 860-535-5098; FAX 860-535-5052

Please Note: If the registration has been transferred to a replacement vehicle the July tax is due in full. This payment will be credited toward the replacement vehicle and billed the following January.

All information must be DATED and have the VEHICLE IDENTIFICATION NUMBER on all documentation. Forward the documentation to the assessor’s office, 152 Elm Street, Stonington, CT  06378; or through email.