Ready to Start Planting? We are so excited to have plots open and ready for planting at the new Stonington Community Garden Town Hall edition.
Since 2010, over 100 Stonington residents have enjoyed harvesting their own, organically-grown produce on South Broad Street - thanks to the collaborative efforts of our team at Stonington Human Services, as well as many community partners and volunteers. As we see the increased importance of having access to sustainable, local food sources, we were excited to expand this program to include a site at Town Hall (with raised beds available to assist those with mobility issues).
Plans to expand the Stonington Community Garden program to include a second location at Town Hall, with ADA accessible walkways and a number of raised beds, officially began in August 2020. Since that time, this has been a truly collaborative project, involving Town staff, along with community volunteers and donors. Thanks to our Director of Economic and Community Development, we were able to connect with a local Eagle Scout who led a group of volunteers to construct the garden beds and fencing. Our team at the Department of Public Works helped to further prepare the site, and we received compost from the Stonington Transfer Station.
We launched the Town's first crowdfunding effort through the Sustainable CT Community Match Fund, which offers a dollar-for-dollar match for sustainability-oriented community projects. Thanks to our 50 community donors, we were able to leverage the matching funds and raise $9,500 for the project.
- Grow your own vegetables ~ Cut food costs
- Reduce “food miles” that are required to transport nutritious food.
- Gardening engages you physically, mentally, and socially. Research shows it can reduce stress, depression and anxiety.
- Join your community in learning about four season gardening and sustainable living!
- The annual fee for the, privately-owned, 4’x16’ plot is $25 (running from March 1st-February 28th).
- Interested in a Plot? Call Human Services (860) 535-5015 or email email@example.com
We are extremely grateful to all those who helped make this vision a reality. Thank you Stonington.