Since January 2020, the Office of the First Selectman has been working with the VFW 1265 Harley P Chase Post, Pawcatuck to create a Monument to honor the service of all military Veterans who have served our country from the Town of Stonington. Thanks largely to the efforts of Tony Lombardo, we are ready to move forward with a plan to make this vision a reality.
The monument will include the names of all Stonington residents who served our country since WWI, over 7,000 individuals. With new technology developed, we will be able to continue to add to the monument over the years. Working in partnership with Buzzi Memorial plans are in place for design and construction of a granite memorial, which will showcase etched drawings. Residents and visitors can use smart phones to read through the names of all Veterans; a visual concept for the memorial can be found below, along with background facts.
Thanks to the Stonington Police Commission, as well as the Department of Public Works and Engineering, the Monument will be located on the Stonington Police Station grounds. This location was desirable due to the high frequency of traffic, ample parking as well as the lighting and safety.
Our next important challenge, will be launching an educational outreach and fundraising campaign. The monument will cost approximately $180,000 and we will need to secure funding from members of our community, as well as pursue potentially grant options.
How you can help?
- One-way individuals can support this effort is to join a new informal, advisory group to assist with this historic and patriotic mission. Please call or email us in the First Selectman's office: firstname.lastname@example.org or 860-535-5050
- Read through the list of Veterans currently compiled and if you know of someone who served and is not represented please contact us at VeteransMonument@Stonington-ct.gov.
- Make a donation to the Town of Stonington (write Stonington Veterans Monument in memo line). Checks can be dropped off in the Town Hall drop box or mailed to 152 Elm Street, Stonington, CT 06378. Donations can also be made through the VFW Post 165 (160 South Broad Street, Pawcatuck, CT 06379) and/or their Venmo account to @KenVFW1265 or you can scan the QR code below. Please know, we are also in the process of exploring other donation mechanisms.
If you would like to explore other ways to be involved, have questions or ideas please reach out to us anytime. We have also complied a brief list of FAQs below.
Together we can create a Monument to offer our gratitude to our brave citizen soldiers and families who have sacrificed so much for our freedom.
UPCOMING FUNDRAISING/OUTREACH EVENTS:
Please join us at one of our upcoming events to learn more about the project:
- 4th of July Parade - Wadawanuck Square - July 4th, 2021 - 11:30AM-1PM
- Dine to Donate - Bogue's Alley - July 16, 2021 - 6AM-5PM
- Farmers Market - Velvet Mill - July 24, 2021 - 9AM-12PM
- Veterans Coffeehouse - Pawcatuck Neighborhood Center - July 22, 2021 - 9AM
- COMO Village Fair - Wadawanuck Square - August 7, 2021 - 11AM-4PM
- Mystic Art Festival - Downtown Mystic - August 14, 2021 - 10AM-6PM
- Mystic Art Festival - Downtown Mystic - August 15, 2021 - 10AM-5PM
- Farmers Market - Velvet Mill - September 18, 2021 - 9AM-12PM
- Dine to Donate - Mel's Downtown Creamery - September 27, 2021 - 12PM-9PM
- Sunday Funday - Downtown Westerly, RI - October 3, 2021 - 12PM-5PM
- Veterans Coffeehouse - Masonicare, Mystic - Ocotober 7, 2021 - 9AM
- VFW Post 1265 - Fish & Chips Dinner - October 8, 2021 - 3PM-7PM
- Saltwater Farm Vineyard Fundraiser - LOTS OF RAFFLE PRIZES! - November 24, 2021 - 5:00PM-730PM
- Special Experiences Raffle - Tickets are $50.00 and will be sold between Monday, November 22, 2021-December 16, 2021. Drawing will be held on December 17, 2021. You do not need to be present to win. Prizes include Overnight stay for 2 at the Ocean House (with breakfast and watercolor book), Round trip airfare for 2 to Block Island and dining at Winfields or Yellow Kittens, Overnight stay for 2 at the Whaler's Inn with dining credits. Reach out to Town Hall for more information 860-535-5050.
IN THE NEWS:
- Stonington seeking unknown Veterans to add to monument being planned - The Westerly Sun, July 15, 2021
- Stonington Veterans Monument Committee launches summer fundraising campaign - The Westerly Sun, July 4, 2021
- Stonington going high-tech with proposed Veterans Monument - WTNH NEWS 8 - May 26, 2021
- Stonington creating interactive memorial to honor local Veterans - The Day, March 23, 2021
- Veterans memorial finds a home at Stonington Police Department - The Westerly Sun, January 19, 2021
- Organizers seek new home for proposed Stonington War Memorial - The Westerly Sun, January 20, 2020
- To accomplish the mission of honoring all those who served, in January 2020, the VFW Post 1265 Harley P Chase, Buzzi Memorials and the Town of Stonington formed a partnership to create a Veterans of Stonington Monument.
- The objective is to document for public viewing and remembrance all those who served their country since WWI and will be able to capture future Veterans.
- The proposed granite monument will be octagonal in shape and cover approximately 100 sq feet, with a surrounding sidewalk rimming the foundations to be built by the Town.
- There will be a composition of grand niche pictures made of porcelain with near-field communication (NFC) protocols that will provide the names of all veterans via smartphone devices.
- As of January 2020, the turnkey price was $178,808 from the Barre Vermont Granite Company. Additional related costs may still need to be finalized.
- The VFW special Federal tax-deductible bank acct is able to accept donations and we are exploring other methods for accepting donations.
|Master list as of 10-1-21||63.78 MB|