-A A +A


All foodservice plan review, licensing and fines are being waived for Stonington facilities until June 1 2018.  Facilities that have a current Town of Stonington food license will also have it extended until June 1, 2018.

Ledge Light had a meet and greet for all Stonington restaurants on May 16th at the Stonington Police Station, but if you were unable to make it, please find the presentation here


What are the Ledge Light Health District Food Service Regulations?
What are Temporary Food Events?

Where can I get a copy of the State foodservice regulations?
Click here to find a copy, then click on the "Regulations" link in the left menu.

How to I become licensed as a mobile food vendor (food truck/hot dog cart) or caterer?
What is required to construct new food service establishments, renovate an existing facility and/or take over an existing food service establishment?
Foodservice licenses are not transferable so a new application, a menu, scaled floor plan and list of equipment (a plan review may be required if extensive renovation occurs).

If the menu of a facility establishes it as a Class III or IV (hot preparation, holding and/or cooling of potentially hazardous foods) then a Qualified Food Operator (QFO), Designated Alternate (person in charge when the QFO is not present) and training records for all staff must be maintained and available for review by the inspector at the facility.  LLHD offers Servsafe Food Manager training/testing (QFO) and Designated Alternate/staff /temporary event food safety training (CAFE) at our New London office, with class dates and times available at   

If change of ownership results in the loss of the QFO, someone else must acquire the credential. The State website does have a listing of QFO course sponsors to consult.  

An opening inspection by LLHD is needed for all new and seasonally opening food service establishments, and seasonal facilities must contact LLHD prior to closing for the year so another inspection can be conducted. 

What is the current requirement concerning grease traps?
Basically, existing Class III and IV foodservice establishments must have in place by July 1, 2011 an external passive grease trap of proper size or an internal automatic grease recovery unit.  Brand new, newly owned or renovated establishments require immediate compliance with this CT DEEP regulation.

Visit for more info